Assessment guidance and key dates for Summer* 2023
We wrote to all OCA students to confirm the details for the online Summer 2023 undergraduate assessment event and signpost students who are eligible for the Summer 2023 event to the latest assessment guidance. This email was sent out at 18:00 (BST) Tuesday 2 May 2023 to all students but does not apply to postgraduate, foundations or personal development students. Typos that have been addressed are denoted by an Asterix.
How does invitation to formal assessment work?
Based on when you complete your unit will determine which undergraduate assessment event you will be invited to submit work for. Completion of an undergraduate unit is defined as submission of all assignments to your tutor and receipt of their feedback.
What are the key dates for the online Summer 2023 assessment event?
- All units that are completed by - 12 May 2023
- Will have an invitation to the event by - 12:00 (BST) 19 May 2023
- With a deadline for submission of work by - 12:00 (BST) 2 June 2023
How do the dates work?
The 12 May 2023 is the date by which your unit needs to be marked as complete in order to be eligible for assessment at the online Summer 2023 assessment event.
After this date, we will compile the list of eligible students and will use this information to create the required spaces for you to upload your submissions, via the GDrive or the OCA Learn VLE. Your invitation to submit will be sent to you by no later than 12:00 (BST) on 19 May 2023.
The latest date that work can be uploaded to these spaces (GDrive/OCA Learn) will be 12:00 (BST) on 2 June 2023, and any submissions sent to us/uploaded/edited beyond this date will not be accepted.
Please note that those with GDrive folders will retain ‘Viewer’ only access after the deadline for submission date.
How do I submit for the online assessment event?
The majority of students will utilise the GDrive service to submit their work for assessment, except for Music students who will continue to utilise the OCA Learn VLE to submit.
What do I submit for the online assessment event?
The majority of units have similar assessment requirements, but you can check for discipline specific advice and guidance on what to submit for assessment here on OCA Learn.
What if I am invited but cannot submit?
If you are invited to the online Summer 2023 assessment event, but will be unable to submit due to extenuating circumstances, you will need to submit an application to defer to the Autumn 2023 assessment event. Please check the Student Handbook section on Deferral of Assessment and email the Assessment Team - email@example.com - as soon as possible to let us know you will be making an application.
Should you need to request a deferral of assessment, the deadline to do so will be 12:00 (BST) 26 May 2023. Requests to defer after this date other than in exceptional circumstances will be rejected. If you don’t submit your work for this assessment event, and don’t have a deferral of assessment confirmed, you will receive a 0% fail mark, as per Section 3.5 Failure and Reassessment in the Academic Regulations Framework, available here on the OCA website.
For any student experiencing difficulties in meeting assessment deadlines, please contact the Learner Support Team - firstname.lastname@example.org - at the earliest opportunity.
Where can I find guidance on assessment?
Advice and guidance for assessment can be found in the Assessment Guidance resource here on OCA Learn. The resource is broken down into different sections:
- Introduction to assessment guidance - This section holds an assessment questions forum where students can pose questions.
- Understanding assessment - This section provides information on how assessment works, along with the assessment criteria document, and a directory of learning outcomes and discipline specific guidance, for all OCA course units.
- Assessment Schedule - This section confirms the key dates and deadlines for current and upcoming events.
- Preparing your submission - This section provides guidance and structured activities to help students prepare their submission, and links to WeAreOCA blog posts relating to digital assessment.
- Submitting your work - This section provides guidance on how to submit for assessment.
- Learning from assessment - This section holds a pre recorded webinar on interpreting assessment results, a survey for providing feedback on assessment, and information to help students understand their marksheets.
No fundamental changes to assessment requirements have been made for this academic year. Please access the assessment guidance resource to help you understand, prepare, submit, and reflect on assessment.
When will my summative mark and feedback be available?
Your marksheet, which contains your summative mark and feedback, will be sent to you in the week commencing 17 July 2023, and will be with you no later than the 21 July 2023.
However, at this point, this marksheet will be provisional as we have had to move the Undergraduate Exam Board to the week commencing 4 September 2023 owing to scheduling conflicts. Ratified results will be released by the 8 September 2023.
Who do I contact with any other questions about assessment?
If you have any queries, please contact the Assessment Team - email@example.com
We wish you all the best for your next assessment.
OCA Assessment Team